Tuesday 29 November 2005


A few months ago, when I went up to Chuave and explored some caves. Coming out, this fellow was casually hanging out on this ledge. You couldn’t spot how he’d managed to climb there – and the awkward thing was, now that he’d made it up there, he couldn’t get down. There were about a hundred people – locals – down below, watching him, calling out to him, teasing. Lots and lots of laughter; what a fool. He was too embarrassed to try and get down while everyone was watching him, and so after about half an hour of waiting, we left. Some people stuck around to shout out scathing remarks, but everyone continued to laugh and laugh; such an idiot.

Laughing at others is a great unifier here; it really brings people together. It might surprise westerners’ sensibilities now and then, but that just shows how silly they are.

A week and a half ago it was International Children’s Day. Out in a big village area in the EHP, celebrations were held; over 500 kids were involved, and certainly plenty of adults. I saw some footage of what went on: as well as adults shouting at kids with megaphones and making the bored kids march (yay! Go kids, this day is just for you), there was a theatre performance by some teenagers. It was about an adopted kid who was mistreated by his wantoks (extended family); no one paid much attention to his suffering and he ended up hanging himself. Rather morbid perhaps for a day celebrating kids, but you get the message.

What was great was the audience’s reaction: as the noose tightened and the child ended his own life, everyone roared with laughter: “what a stupid kid! Hahahah”. Ah, great play; great times.

You get used to this, and often you’ll find yourself laughing along too – if not at the same incident, then at the craziness of it all. Another similar, though less public, incident happened at work today. We received a letter written in very poor English [below]. This is not something I would typically make fun of – partly out of sensitivity to others, but partly because poor English is par for the course: it’s a second or third language here – but it was a bit mad and turned into an occasion of great entertainment for my co-workers (all PNGian). We were all gathered together and then someone read it out aloud, and then someone put on a funny voice and read it out again – and I must admit I was in stiches. Everyone was full of scorn at this poorly written letter – even those who can’t write at all; they all joined together in laughing at – in shaming – this person. (I think similar situations are slightly different in intent in Australia; they feel different, anyway, but I can’t quite put my finger on the distinction.)

And just because the letter is insane – involves religion; warning – I include it below. (Minus the little circles at the top of the “i”s)

Dearr, Self Study in Papua New Guinea [we have no self study at work, but the po box was correct in the address]

I am Moses ex-grade six for 1985 I want to wish you from this college of self study secretariate because I kneedy to wrote my note to you to know more about all your information about youth world, and adult education, THE WORK OF SOLVING DIFFERENT PROBLEMS, I need you will accurate me for some books to read and study and if some courses to up grading my education please can you brought me a material for study…Once upon a time the heavenly father the creator of all things give me a vision and told me that I must because in this scripture (Mt 6:33) speak to me about seek ye first the kingdom of god and all his righteousnesses and then all every things shall added unto you. that’s all I have drops of words from me to let you know And I hope that you will actually read this sentence or this passage and may you will help me please quickly return it back to me.

Yours sincerely, moses

No comments: