Wednesday 16 November 2005

don't always dream for what you want

Don’t always dream for what you want
(I love to watch good dancers talk)

(sleepy jacksons)

Luti, the beautiful haus meri, called me at work today. I had a few meetings on and didn’t get her message for several hours. When I called back, she sounded a bit alarmed and told me that I’d forgotten to turn the tv off this morning before leaving for work. Not quite understanding what the problem was, I asked her if she was alright – and she explained that she didn’t know how to turn it off.

Now my tok pisin ain’t too good; my comprehension is ok but making myself comprehended is another matter. Bearable in person, with body language (i.e. mi laikim yu…just kidding, just kidding), but over the phone it’s a nightmare. How to suggest looking at the bottom front of the tv, to the right, there should be a big button there – press it and the tv should turn off (I could have simply tried: yu lukim long tv na bipela button; yu pushim), or, failing that, to switch it off at the powerpoint or to pull out the cord from the powerboard (I should have simply said: yu rauism rope bilong em). Instead words crumbled and turned to dust in my mouth and I stuttered and spat them out one by one (“tv…pushim…button…off”). There was an embarrassed silence on the other end; I could hear her thinking: what is this, a crazy? Luckily a buddy was around and I got some help and we got where we needed to get.

Yu save nau? I continued to stumble. Yu makim tv go pinis?

And then Luti said thankyou very much I understand but don’t want to turn it off now; I want to watch it. I very nearly lost control and burst out laughing, but managed to just splutter a little down the line and say that sounded good, hanging out and watching tv.

No comments: