Saturday 23 July 2005

come take a walk



i haven't been away for a while and don't have any exciting adventure stories or pictures to present. what i can show you is a little something of the neighbourhood.
I pass this street stall, for instance, on my way to the markets; I chat with the girl in my broken tok pisin. She is boisterous and funny, and I like her and would like to buy something from her stall – but her fruits are usually crap and the other stuff isn’t that tempting. She sometimes has some old, small oranges, or slightly bruised bananas; maybe some buai; but always there are the icey poles and the flour balls, popular staples for the market crowds. Now and then she’ll sell bananas fried in the batter – and they are delicious, so perhaps the flour balls wouldn’t be as scary (fried flour! ugh) as I imagine. Perhaps next time…

No comments: