Wednesday 15 February 2006

black or white?

On the weekend I went to the supermarket and bought a chocolate bar (on sale; their expiry date has passed, and in a new move the supermarket is discounting their price; until now they just continued to sell off products)(note that I buy them all the same).

Anyway, after you’ve been through the checkout you walk through an electronic scanner thing and between two security guards. The guards will pat down Papua new guineans, and check their bilums, but smile at me and wave me through because I’m white. Even if I were to stop and offer my bag for inspection, they would wave me through. On this particular day, the beeper when off as I walked through; this time, I thought, they’ll want to see inside the bag. The chocolate bar, you see, is the only thing in the store that they bother to apply the electronic bar to, the bar that sets off the alarm. The store was busy and I had been at the checkout furthest from the guards; they didn’t know what I had purchased. And the alarm was beeping.

I stopped and made move to open it, and no – they just waved me through.

I foresee a great future for myself as a white profiteer.

No comments: