Monday 12 December 2005


I hear it's been pretty hot in Adelaide. Up here in the land of the clouds, things don't vary so much. It's clear around noon most days, and clouds are around before and after. You need a blanket or two at night (fact: only expats have quilts), and jeans and a shirt will become your daily uniform. Now and then you remember, though, that it's beautiful.

I had a chat to one of the guards tonight, So-hi (I have no idea about this spelling; this is phonetic). He is a great guy, and is turning into a bit of a mate. We chat most evenings. Lately he keeps bringing up my departure - it's only for two weeks, and I'll be back for a year. But he talks about it like he's touching a sore tooth. I said tonight that I was really looking forward to going, seeing my wantoks etc, and he almost cried (guys here can be quite senitmental; crying occurs frequently, and publicly), saying that he and the other guard have been talking about me and gosh they are really going to miss me and x y z. It was really sweet - but then I am a sucker (I have also just made them another cake). "It's only two weeks!" I say. "Ah, but, mi feeling sori tru" he sighs. Hm; I am a complete sucker. I am moved.

No comments: