Sunday 29 May 2005

tombstones

I don't want my tombstone to read: I never owned a network. (T. Turner)
**


I had a look at Unitech’s library last week. The map collection area was busy (the latest complete detailed set of maps for png i've found are from 1979, so i'm always on the look out for anything more recent. and the elderly ones are always fascinating), so I went into the Rare Books room. The door was ajar and I knocked, but there was no one there. I hovered for a moment, no one came, so I pushed it open and went inside. I peered at the shelves, and, well, once I’d realised the floor outside was uncovered and I’d be able to hear anyone approaching, I gave in to temptation and actually touched, opened and perused the rare books.

I was gentle of course.

The collection was erratic – some things were not at all rare, and some books were falling apart, but not at all valuable; and there seemed to be no real order. But there were some interesting finds, like this (shoved – carefully no doubt – under a bottom shelf).

**


Later that afternoon we left and drove back to Goroka. We stopped at almost all of the roadside markets for coconut and buai (this was after the second stop; by the time darkness fell, the back of the ute was full. By then of course we were driving up hills at a snail’s pace, trying to conserve petrol by coasting down the hills without power, hoping – against logic – that the next petrol station would be open…But we eventually did get back so let’s not revisit those long and slow hours.)

**
Today was the first day in weeks that I have had free, without plans. Nice. I didn’t do all the things I ought to have done, but I did read “Tuesdays with morrie”, another secondhand find. I tried not to read it all in one go, but couldn’t help it. It made me (ok; cry a little bit &) laugh.

“You hate that word, don’t you? “Spiritual.” You think it’s touchy-feely stuff.”

Well, I said…

No comments: