Wednesday 4 October 2006

all these things that i've done

And now it’s three sleeps and I’m out of Goroka, plus one and I’m out of PNG itself. I’ve been thinking ahead to leaving for a while, so it was with surprise that I found myself feeling sad last night. Sad about finishing such an extraordinary experience, about leaving such an extraordinary country. Living here has been seriously challenging – but who doesn’t like a challenge? At least you’re alive, thinking, doing. I love how here every day offers possibility; everyday is unpredictable and contains something unexpected. How many places do you live that can offer that?

Whilst I’m really looking forward to being back in Australia, life there doesn’t offer that – slightly crazy – element. There’s a lot more gloss in Australia: things are tidier, neater, run more smoothly, carry less risk. I’m worried I’ll end up bored again. But I’ve also grown up a lot since coming here, and know that it’s less about the place and more about the person you are, and the people you have in your life. And I feel excited about that.

So it’s a nice sadness. The luxury of leaving. The sadness I don’t know how to place is that of saying goodbye to PNG friends who I probably will never see again. For now, I’m wrapping up their voices, faces and gestures, and storing them softly in my memory. It’s inadequate, but it’s all you can do.

No comments: