Monday 17 January 2005

queen of hearts

someone i met on nye called me last week, and - surprised (i was not at my best that night) - i agreed to meet. let me say straight away - nice guy, pleasant afternoon. this joke was all on me.

from the first my recollection was a little rosy coloured. he's not a speechwriter, no don watson; he writes economic briefs and plays with stats for politicians. different political persuasian, but hey possibly interesting discussion. perhaps ambitious of me; pro pro pro sale of etsa, of assets in general...so; he'd just had a break, done some reading. Books - excellent territory! i leaned in eagerly. i'm not particular about what it is people read; i'm biased towards anyone who reads. silly, perhaps - but not everyone does read. and so you read, i like you.

yet of all the books in the world, this one was almost thrown out like a personal test.

I leaned in eagerly. What did you read?
A biography of Princess Diana.

I looked down; i failed the test. i was not open minded. and as if anew i saw his shiny rm williams boots and pants and shirt; became conscious of the paint splashes on my jeans. i gulped my drink and wanted to fidget. i tried! i tried to ignore this new liberal thing! but of all the books in the world...

No comments: