Sunday 16 October 2005

we're hungry, beware of our appetite

Addictions. I have a few.

1. sudoko! i am even buying the local rag every day to do it. and when there is no paper, well, err, you can kind of, find some online, if you're so inclinded...

2. Change. I get bored easily; bit too easily, need to mature a bit and settle. I felt a bit disconnected from my life in Goroka this past week. Boredom has set in – this is no longer a crazy adventure, but normal, life. I was crotchety; I wanted adventures. But last night, having dinner with friends, suddenly what had made me cross earlier – normal, life – was touching and good. I felt connected to where I was and what I was doing again. (It’s odd that feelings like that are out of your control; sometimes you just have to ride them out, they go when they are ready, not under your orders.) Given the chance, I would have my bags packed within an hour (maybe less) and head off travelling for a few years. But actually I have over a year to pack them, and it wouldn’t be much fun to spend so long preparing for the pack.

3. Cigars; those little thin cigarette-style ones (if you can't smoke cigarettes then you've gotta get your fix from somewhere). British newspapers (Guardian has sudoko too). Meandering around online. Talking along with tricky and martine when listening to maxinquaye.

No comments: